Another gift from the bees

Perhaps the most immediate place we see plastic taking over our lives when we begin to focus our lens is in the kitchen. SO much to take in. But let's go slow and begin by looking at food preservation (not long-term like freezing, canning or fermenting, just more of a 'what do I do with my leftovers?').

[Disclaimer: So here I am guilty of doing what I can't stand - posting about something I just made and have used less than 24 hours. Drives me nuts when I click on a tutorial for something or a review and it says "I *just* made this or *just* opened this and I LOVE it!" How about giving it six months or so and then tell me all about it? But I digress. Instead I will point to other sites where they do have long-term rave reviews while also showing you what I made and I LOVE!]

We use mason jars and pyrex glass containers for most of our fridge food. But there is often the issue of covering food already in a large bowl or platter or some such too-large-for-a-jar leftovers. So given our love of all things honeybees (someday we will have them, someday! Even if just to pollinate and not for us to extract anything. But now is not the time).

So here is picture version of the (very simple) process of making Beeswax wraps:




At this point, cover with parchment and iron until all beeswax has melted. Then hang to dry.


And since it is winter and oh so cold out (and in, depending on which room!), these took about 4 seconds to dry. Then have fun wrapping!



Also fully expect that you will get as excited as I did and want to make many of these and while you do, your kids will turn your house into a bus/bus stop/museum. Or something like that.


And then maybe one of your kids might want to try out some giant-sized origami with the beloved wrap.


And voila! Isn't it so awesome? And they smell amazing! You'll love these. Here are some tutorials with more info and alternate ways to make them. And in case it really feels like too much to make them and you have some cash burning holes in your pocket from not buying plastic wrap, this company sells lovely ones. Have fun!


Comments

  1. Would you hand wash these, or wipe clean, then air dry? I'm loving these ideas for taking plastic consumption out of our daily lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa, wash in cold water with castile soap. So no raw meat or anything too hard to clean off. So far they are working out wonderfully!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts